The University has a set of guidelines for the advertising of professional staff vacancies and for the recruitment and selection of applicants.
A brief outline of the selection process:
- A selection panel is appointed, usually consisting of three people (a mixture of male and female):
- the supervisor or head of section
- one person who knows the job well or occupies a similar position
- another person, often from outside the work area.
- The position description and selection criteria are reviewed, and updated if necessary.
- The position is advertised:
- electronically through Jobs at UWA
- in The West Australian newspaper, or other external sources, if applicable.
- Written applications are received by Human Resources by a specified closing date.
- Acknowledgements are sent to all applicants by Human Resources.
- The selection panel studies all the applications and:
- shortlists applicants who best meet the requirements of the position
- interviews shortlisted applicants
- administers additional work tests - if applicable; for example, word processing
- contacts referees.
- The selection panel makes its decision, prepares a report of recommendation, and contacts the preferred applicant to advise of the outcome of the selection process.
- Unsuccessful interviewees are advised and often given feedback.
- The successful applicant is appointed to the job.